Ipsy Glam Bag Review - February 2015 - Beauty Subscription Box

This post contains referral links.
What is it? Ipsy Glam Bag
How Much? $10 per month, plus $4.95 shipping to Canada (US$)
What’s in it?  4-5 beauty products every month 

Ipsy is a San Francisco based beauty subscription that sends a beautiful Glam Bag filled with with deluxe samples and full-sized beauty products. Once you've received your Glam Bag, you can head over to the Ipsy Community to watch tutorial videos and play along with the Ipsy stylists, using the same products they are using.

The theme for February is Ipsy Love.
Love is just a word... Until you find someone or something to give it meaning.  This February we're celebrating warm hugs, butterflies in your stomach, a new favorite blush, your best friend's tweets - LOVE is all its wondrous forms and ways to express it. 
Rob Scheppy for 'Tini Beauty Eye Shadow in Pearl Fizz (1.7g, $6.46)
The must-have shimmering beige powder shadow from the palette designed for 'Tini Beauty by Hollywood makeup artist Rob Scheppy. Creative force behind Kim Kardashian's most memorable looks, Rob crafted Pearl Fizz as the perfect shade to highlight brow bones, add dimension to lids and illuminate the eyes.
I've never heard of Rob Scheppy, but apparently he's Kim Kardashian's makeup artist. Is this how people get famous these days? I like this colour and I will probably use it. The shadow is only available in a pallet, so price estimate is based on a full size pallet weighing 10.4g for $39.50.

Eva NYC Up All Night Volumizing Spray (1oz, $3)
Get the ultimate blowout with this multi-tasking spray! The light-weight formula adds volume and texture to hair, while protecting against heat for healthier styling. 
I like other Eva NYC products I've tried, but this spray does not smell great. It's a great sample size for travel though.

Cargo Cosmetics Lip Gloss in Anguilla (4.5ml, $6.40)
 A new generation of Cargo’s lip gloss. Its super high shine gloss delivers intense color payoff and locks in moisture to keep lips feeling hydrated. This longwearing lip gloss has a slick texture that feels creamy gliding over lips without being sticky. Ingredients such as Vitamin E and Jojoba Seed oil help increase lip moisture and decrease the appearance of furrows around the mouth while increasing lip volume to its maximum fullness.
This is not my shade of pink so I will be passing on this one. This was a hard sample to price because the tube says 4.5ml/4.5g but the website for the full size product says 2.5ml. How does a full size contain 2ml less than a sample? I estimate the sample to be 2.5 times smaller than a full size (which is $16), so I based my price estimate on that.

JOYA Composition No. 1 Parfum Oil (1.5ml, $4.50)
JOYA Composition No. 1 is a luscious perfume oil in a beautiful and convenient roll-on travel-sized bottle: fruity, floral, creamy, citrus, a little musk, a lot refreshing. Perfume oil, unlike traditional alcohol-based fragrances, whispers instead of screaming. JOYA parfum realizes the true essences of its top, heart and drydown notes and gently absorbs on the skin of each wearer, making for an intimate and personal experience. Composition No. 1 interacts with your own chemistry and smells different on everyone and is sure to make an impression.
I normally don't like fragrance samples but I like this one for two reasons. One it's a roller ball. A teeny, tiny roller ball and two, it smells nice. Fresh and citrus-y.

 
ModelCo BLUSH Cheek Powder in Peach Bellini (3.6g full size, $22)
ModelCo’s BLUSH Cheek Powder creates a beaming, rosy glow to brighten every complexion. The micronized color pigments and luxurious, pressed powder delivers a sheer, natural radiance that lasts all day. BLUSH Cheek Powder's chic compact is easy-to-use and perfect for beauty touch ups on-the-go
This might be my new blush of choice when my Nars Orgasm runs out. It's a peachy pink so it's a good shade for my skin tone.

My February #ipsyLOVE Glam Bag included five items, with a retail value over $42 US. It is worth noting that I paid $19.61 CDN for this bag. With the current exchange rate, the $14.95 US charge isn't quite as appealing anymore. I can't say I love any of the items in here, but there are a few I'm anxious to try. The eye shadow and blush have potential, as does the perfume oil. I think I will pass the lip gloss onto someone who will appreciate it more and I'm undecided on the hair spray. This month I received one full size product, and four deluxe samples. The February bag consisted of three cosmetics, one hair product, and one fragrance. I'm going to hold on to Ipsy a while longer to see what else they have in store, but if the Canadian dollar continues to drop, it may not be worth it to continue with Ipsy.

Click here to check out Ipsy and get your own Ipsy Glam Bag.

Comments

  1. The exchange rate is exactly the reason I stopped Ipsy. For Americans it's a great bag for the price of $10, but as a Canadian it's more like $20! I'd rather buy a full size product the that price.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also decided to quit Ipsy. last year when i signed up for a year, including the pre paid purchase discount, shipping and the exchange my monthly amount came out to about $15.50/month. But with exchange hover around 20% it's just too much. I liked Ipsy, but found a lot of repeats, i have no less than 6 gold eye shadows from a year! However I've decided to let myself go and spend those $15 on something I wouldn't normally buy once a month, and this month I got a new full sized mascara, a tinted lipbalm and blush. Not bad for shopping at Shoppers'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! If you would like a reply, please use a valid e-mail address.

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Fall 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box

Frock Box Favourites Review - October 2017 - Canadian Clothing Subscription Service

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Spring 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box