Topbox Review - November 2014 - Canadian Beauty Subscription Box

What is it? Topbox
How Much? $12 per month plus tax, shipping included
What’s in it?  4 deluxe beauty samples  
Topbox is a Canadian subscription service that sends four deluxe samples from top beauty brands each month. Topbox is the premiere monthly beauty subscription box in Canada and at only $12 per month, it's a great intro box for those interested in what the beauty box craze is all about.
The regular Topbox ships in a cylinder tube, but I opted for the "eco" option instead. I have so many tubes and no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions? The organza bag also gave me a peek at my samples. Looks good!

Product Card

UniqOne All in One Hair Treatment (8ml sample, $1.06)
Uniq One All in One Hair Treatment provides you with 10 real hair benefits that will enhance a sublime, stunning healthy and protected hair. Trying is believing. Uniq One All in One treatment provides 10 real hair benefits: Repair for dry & damaged hair. Shine & frizz control. Heat protection. Silkiness & smoothness. Hair color protection with UVA & UVB filters. Easier brushing & ironing. Incredible detangling. Long-lasting hairstyle. Split ends prevention. Adds body.

Eyeko Black Magic Mascara (4ml deluxe sample, $12)
Designed for after-hours seduction, our ultimate mascara combines three key elements to create drama, volume and curl, packaged into our iconic squeezy tube. Our new curvaceous brush lifts, curls and volumises for supreme lash perfection with a water-resistant, carbon black finish. We use a unique conditioning formula that blends key ingredients Keratin and Shea Butter for instantly transformed lashes and superior staying-power that's easy to remove.
This squeeze tube is kind of genius. Finally you can get all the mascara out of the tube! This sample is about half a full size version.

Elizabeth Arden Flawless Future Powered by Ceramide Caplet Serum (5ml, $12)
This sheer lightweight liquid serum with micro-caplets activates when dispensed, providing a refreshing burst that initially clings to skin then dries to a smooth weightless finish. Use to help reinforce skin's essential moisture barrier, even skin tone, retexturize, and reduce the appearance of first signs of aging. Rejuvenates the look of tired skin for a more energized complexion.
What's the deal Topbox? I received this same sample last month

Benefit Stay Flawless 15-hour Primer (1.18ml, $2.80)
Take flawless into overtime! This instant PRO-long primer acts like a magnet to lock on your foundation for up to 15 fresh and flawless hours. The invisible stick-primer glides directly onto skin for optimal wear and a natural-looking finish. 
Earlier in November, Topbox promised to include a Benefit product in every regular Topbox if the Benefit Canada Instagram account reached 17,000 followers. The goal was reached. I expected a bonus Benefit product this month. When I received my bag and it only included the usual four products, I went back to the post. Looks like I misread it. They didn't promise an extra sample. They only promised that one sample in the regular box would be Benefit. Chances are one of the samples was always going to be Benefit, regardless of how many IG followers Benefit Canada received. I wonder how many other people fell for this sneaky trick.

The November Topbox included four products, valued just over $27. I'm not super thrilled this month. One product is a duplicate from last month and the Benefit situation was a let down. The mascara is the only thing that really excites me. From a more objective view, it's a decent, well rounded box. I like when a box includes items from a few categories and this one touches on hair care, skin care, and cosmetics. The value isn't bad and the sample sizes are decent. Two products are new to me, and subscription boxes are all about discover, so I guess it's a win.

Click here to check out Topbox.
Comments are now closed for this post. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or comments.

Comments

  1. I got exactly the same "box" and me too find the tube useless (I used only once as a gift box).
    I have pretty much the same opinion about this month products. Now I'm not sure if I will blog this box....
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the worst one I've received, but could have been better.

      Delete
  2. Bummer that you got a duplicate product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past they have been good about sending out something new, but I can't be bothered this time.

      Delete
  3. You should be able to contact them and they should send you a new product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had great experiences with their CS in the past, and they have replaced a duplicate product for me before... I just can't be bothered this time. The EA product isn't terrible and I will use it... just kind of disappointing is all.

      Delete
  4. I got the exact same box as well. I wasn't thrilled with it. Other than the mascara. The hair junk was only half full when I received it. Used it yesterday and made my hair more oilier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Good to know. I will use very, very sparingly, if at all.

      Delete
  5. The hair product actually says "free sample" at the back, and really, we pay for the sub, why should we have to 'work' for a Benefit sample unless it was meant to be an extra product? I was pretty miffed when I got this month's bag to be honest. I just cancelled my sub and signed up for Birchbox instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Benefit situation. Very disingenuous of them. I'm going to wait and see how Birchbox and Glossybox do before cancelling. I will probably hold off until April. That's my 2 year Topbox anniversary. Seems like a good time to quit, just as with BB5.

      Delete
  6. Got the exact same box, but excited to try all of these (though per comments above supposed I'll use little of the hair thing). I too collected too many tubes. I use them for gifts (fill them with construction paper shavings/cuts to half full, then put in products. Seal up and tie up with ribbon and gift :) Can only do this so many times though before your friends go "another one eh..."

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

Frock Box Favourites Review - October 2017 - Canadian Clothing Subscription Service

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Spring 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Fall 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box