Nina Garcia for Quarterly Co. Review - Summer 2014 #NGQ03 - Lifestyle Subscription Box

How Much? $100 per quarter plus $30 shipping (recently raised from $20)
What’s in it? Curated gifts from influential contributors and cultural icons. Currently there are more than 60 contributors, curating boxes of everything from technology, to food, to fashion, and everything in between.
The long awaited third installment of Nina Garcia's Quarterly box is here. The last box (#NGQ02) was valued over $460 and I raved about it all over social media. I called it the best subscription box EVER. One of my tweets was even re-tweeted by Nina Garcia! Nina Garcia's box is all about cutting edge fashion, beauty, and lifestyle items.
"Being in the forefront of fashion, I am constantly exposed to new and wonderful brands, products, and places. I’m excited to share these magnificent finds with you."

While the last box was all about celebrating Nina and her 5 years with Marie Claire, this box is all about summer. The box was smaller than last time but it weighed in just over 3 pounds and was filled to the brim. As with my last review, the items are presented below as I unboxed them. 

"There's no better way to celebrate this summer than with some summertime fun, so I am very excited to share with you my favourite products for the occasion."
Otterbox Symmetry Case for iPhone 5/5s (Redemption coupon, value $49.95)
I didn't take a great photo of this because at the time I didn't know what it was. The colourful card is a redemption coupon for a free Otterbox phone case. The design on the card is called Brazillian Pop! and was inspired by Nina Garcia. It's not my favourite design, so luckily the code worked for any design from the Symmetry series. I picked the Eden design. The phone was free but shipping to Canada was $20.63, plus tax.

MELISSA Desk Ornament ($30)
This is a little desk ornament from Brazilian shoe designer MELISSA. Apparently it's part of a collection to celebrate some new shoe design collaborations. A few different designs went out. Mine is a pink pump. I was super confused by it at first. Is it a phone stand? A paperclip holder? A door stop? To be honest, I feel it's a piece of junk. If I can't swap it for something else it will become a paperclip holder.

red flower Refreshing Hand & Face Towelette in Italian Blood Orange scent (1 pouch,  $0.70)
I experienced red flower before through Saffron Rouge. It's an organic skin care line and I love towelettes so even though there is just one, I'm looking forward to trying it.

ck one by Calvin Klein Pure Color Lipstick in Kiss It ($8.97)
I didn't know that Calvin Klein made cosmetics. This is a nice colour but I don't think it's for me. It's pretty bright.
ORIBE Dry Texturizing Spray (75ml purse size, $21.50)
Bigger, better, full-on glamorous hair. This invisible dry hair spray builds in incredible volume and sexy texture. Patented polymers absorb oil at the roots, leaving you with just-styled hair for days (and nights).

Formula X for Sephora Nail Color in Push the Limits ($13)
This shade is described as "tomato pink". It's bright and bold and will make a great pedicure.

Nest Fragrances Scented Candle in Vanilla Orchid & Almond (2oz votive, $14)
This candle smells lovely and caused my whole box to smell like vanilla. This little candle will give 20 hours of burn time!

Surya Brasil Sapien Women Shave Gel (200ml, $20.39)
An organic, vegan shave gel that will leave your legs silky smooth. 

Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator (250ml, $19.99)
Nina says this product will moisturize and calm hair, leaving it healthier, shinier, and overall more manageable when styling.

Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Clear Mist Spray Sunscreen SPF 30 (6oz, $10.79)
This is a clear spray on sunscreen with added moisturizer. I was just about to buy new sunscreen so this comes at a great time. I'm a fair skinned red head so I go through one of these a month!


Friends Ella Earbuds in Gold ($99)
Nina chose these earbuds from Friends because they almost look like a piece of jewellery. She thinks our tech gear should be super stylish too. These are definitely the fanciest earbuds I've owned. They won't be for jogging, that's for sure!

SPENGLISH Snapback Ball Cap - Muito Cool (~$20)
Oh Nina. I love you, but this? The Mui Cool T-Shirt last time was great. LOVE the t-shirt. But this? The hat is a custom designed by Nina & SPENGLISH to commemorate the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Not a fan. Not my style.

PRINT ALL OVER ME Palm Tree at Beach Printed Clutch by Isla Saona (~20)
This is another custom piece for Nina Garcia's Quarterly box. PAOM doesn't normally make clutches, just tote bags. It's a cute design and will be put to use, probably for packing and travel purposes.  


KOKO Custom Myrto Clutch (80 EUR = $108 USD)
So sorry, so unfashionable. I do not understand this clutch. I do not understand how it has a value over $100. I do not understand why it is considered stylish. It's a cotton canvas pouch with raffia trim and a Plexiglas fish glued to the front. I get that this is a handmade item, all the way from Greece, but I still don't see how that justifies the price tag. And 80 euros is the SALE price. Retail is 130 euros, or about $177 USD. Crazy.

Well there you have it. This time we received 14 items, valued around $440. I have really mixed feelings on this box. On the one side it's incredibly fun to unbox and unwrap everything in a Nina Garcia Quarterly box. This is my favourite box for unboxing. The value is always incredibly high and there are always a few custom items, available only to subscribers of the Nina Garcia Quarterly box. I always enjoy the beauty and lifestyle products received and am happy with all of the products from those categories. What I have a hard time wrapping my head around are the fashion items. I just don't understand them, which makes me realize I am not fashionable enough for Nina Garcia's picks. This box costs $100 per quarter, plus $20 shipping to Canada. I need to think long and hard if I am going to stick around for NGQ04. That's a lot of money to be spending on a box that may not really be geared towards me.

What did you think of Nina Garcia's third box for Quarterly?

Click here to check out Nina Garcia for Quarterly Co.
Comments are now closed for this post. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or comments.

Comments

  1. I had mixed feelings as well about this box. I am going to wait to see what's in the next box before I make a decision to continue or not.

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

Frock Box Favourites Review - October 2017 - Canadian Clothing Subscription Service

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Fall 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Spring 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box