Julep Maven Review - April 2013 - Beauty Subscription Box


My April Julep Maven box arrived today and I am so excited to try these new products!
What is it? Julep Maven
How Much? $19.99 per month, shipping included
What’s in it? At least $40 worth of products chosen depending on your style profile.
Modern Beauty: Get two full-size beauty products in every box.
Boho Glam:  Get two limited-edition nail colors and one full-size beauty product in every box. 
Bombshell: Get two limited-edition nail colors and one full-size beauty product in every box.
Classic with a Twist: Get two limited-edition nail colors and one full-size beauty product in every box.
It Girl: Get three limited-edition nail colors in every box.
I opted to stick with the Modern Beauty box this month. I don't have a huge need for more polishes right now and the two products offered in the MB box for April were super appealing.

Even though I know in advance what is going to be in the box, the un-boxing and first reveal is still fun and exciting!

Read more to see what I got in my box and what I picked for add-on's!




 Now for the goods!


Mighty Nail & Cuticle Serum - Regular $28, Maven Price $22.40
Kapow! Peptides – super-charged amino acids that build keratin (for your nails) and collagen (for your cuticles) – are our Mighty Nail & Cuticle Serum's secret weapon to transform dry and damaged cuticles almost overnight. Plus, get visibly stronger, smoother nails with fewer ridges and less splitting and brittleness in only 2-3 weeks. 

My cuticles are terrible so I am so happy to get this product. It's a new release so all Maven's received it this month. It's packaged beautifully and it looks like a very luxury product. I might buy one for my Mum for Mother's day. I can't wait to try it. I go through cuticle oil like it's going out of style!


Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo - Regular $22, Marven Price $17.60
You want 20 more minutes of sleep. Your hair wants a break from the blow dryer. This lightweight spray-on powder absorbs oil, adds body, and leaves no residue. Enjoy fresh, voluminous locks and an extra snooze cycle or two.  

Do I ever want 20 more minutes of sleep!! The only dry shampoo I've tried in the past is Frederick Fekkai Pronto Dry Shampoo. It's a white powder, like baby powder. Unless I work it in and massage the scalp like crazy, there is always residue and the feeling that my roots look like they are greying. I'm excited to try a spray on dry shampoo and it's perfect timing because I'm trying to go from washing my hair 7 days per week to only 4 days. I hear it's better for the hair and scalp. We'll see!

They also included a pieces of grape flavour rock candy, which I gobbled up after snapping these photos!

Add-On's

Each month, Maven's are able to choose 3 "add-on's" to add to their monthly box. The add-on items include polishes and other beauty products from the shop, as well as special edition curated sets, all at up to 50% off retail. The add-on's ship separately and arrived earlier this week. This is what I selected:


Lena Polish - Regular $14, Maven Price $11.20, Add-On Price $4.99
Teal with gold shimmer.

I loved this colour in the April Boho Glam box, but not enough to change my profile from Modern Beauty. I was thrilled to see it as an add-on option for a steal at $4.99!


Set of 3 Swatch Me Sticker Sheets - Regular $9.99, Maven Price $7.99, Add-On Price $4.99
Love our NEW 'Swatch Me' sticker? Stock up with this set of 3 'Swatch Me' sticker sheets (60 stickers total). Now you can swatch your entire polish collection- they work great on any and every polish bottle size.

When I saw these online and on other blogs, I thought they were super cool and had to try them out. They were offered as an add-on for $4.99. Now that I have them, they are quite disappointing. It's just a paper sticker that I could have easily printed and cut out myself for far less than $4.99. I would NEVER pay the full price or even the Maven price for these three piddly sheets. Maybe if they were laminated and waterproof, but not as  they are now.


Dream On! Perfect Cuticle Set (Special, Not available in shop), Add-On Price $19.99

This special curated set included the following full size products:
Oxygen Nail Treatment - Regular $18, Maven Price $14.40
Complete nail care and make-up all in one bottle. Made with a patented Hexanal formulation, nails are restructured to a stronger, thicker, and smoother condition in just one stroke. Advanced plant stem cell complex provides anti-aging benefits, while ground-breaking oxygen technology forms a nonocclusive film on the nail, proving resistant to water penetration and improving the permeability to oxygen. Results are nails that are structurally stronger, and less prone to breakage and splitting. 

I've had my eye on this product for a while. I use a lot of O.P.I. Nail Envy so I imagine Oxygen Treatment will have similar effects as that. When I saw it available as an add-on, I snapped it up with the other two items below as bonuses!
Hand & Cuticle Stick - Regular $22, Maven Price $17.60
Moisturize and protect in one easy no-mess step. Restore the youthful appearance of your hands with a peptide punch to strengthen and repair your skin. Vitamins C and E nourish and soothe. 

Stick? It's more like a stub. The full size is only 0.67oz. I'm beginning to think Julep's products are grossly over priced.

Julep Essential Cuticle Oil - Regular $18, Maven Price $14.40
All-natural blend of essential oils and Vitamin E hydrates and strengthens nails and cuticles. Extends the life of your manicure while leaving a glossy sheen. Use daily to soften rough cuticles and strengthen nails. The convenient roller-ball application allows you to take your Julep Essential Cuticle Oil everywhere you go. 

I already have one of these from my Intro box, but I can never have enough cuticle oil and I love that it's a  roll-on.

The Verdict

As always, I am very happy with my Julep box this month. The Modern Beauty box included two full size Julep products with a retail value of $50 (Maven value of $40) for only $19.99. Both products will be used and it's likely I would purchase them again as well. In total with my add-on's, I received 5 products with a retail value of $81.99 (or Maven Price value of $65.59) for a steal at only $29.97. That's almost 65% off retail prices!


Are you a Julep Maven? Which box and add-on's did you get this month?

If you're not a Julep Maven yet, consider signing up through my referral link!

*This post contains referral links.



Comments are now closed for this post. Please e-mail me with any comments or questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frock Box Favourites Review - October 2017 - Canadian Clothing Subscription Service

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Spring 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box

Simply Beautiful by BC Living Review - Fall 2017 - Canadian Lifestyle Subscription Box