Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Topbox Review - April 2013 - Beauty Subscription Box

My Topbox arrived! My Topbox arrived!

What is it? Topbox
How Much? $12 per month, shipping included
What’s in it?  4 deluxe beauty samples
I received the shipping notification e-mail this morning at 8:41am. The box was shipped from Toronto yesterday. I expected the box would arrive tomorrow. To my surprise and delight, I received another e-mail at 10:41am, from Canada Post, alerting me that my box had been delivered. I raced downstairs to my condo mailbox to find the signature Kraft paper wrapped tube in my slot.

Topbox, by far, has the quickest shipping on any subscription box I've seen. Not only that, but they April Topbox shipped EARLY! Topbox promises to ship on the 10th of every month. This month they started shipping on the 7th and 8th, ensuring most customers would receive theirs before the 10th. That's impressive. At this point, I hadn't even opened my box yet and I was thrilled.

As with the past few months, Topbox offered a chance for customers to receive one of two Prive boxes. An e-mail was sent in mid-March allowing customers to pick their top choices: Aveda Prive Box, Elizabeth Arden Prive box or the regular Topbox. Since it was my very first Topbox, I decided to go with the regular box to get a feel of what Topbox is all about.

Now for the reveal...


I love the Topbox tubes. I plan to re-use them for gifts and storage.

Inside there is a product information card, a promo card for the Mother's Day Topbox +1 and all the samples wrapped in purple tissue paper.

Here are the samples I received:


Cuccio Naturale - Milk & Honey Butter (0.33oz x 2)
10x the moisturizing power of lotion. A non-oily intense hydrating treatment for silky smooth skin.

Full size is $18.95 for 240g (8oz). Available at topbox.ca.

I'm confused by the product card because it lists a full size as costing $18.95, but in the Topbox shop, they sell it for $20. I'm going to base my estimates on the actual selling price in the Topbox shop. I received two 9.24g (0.33oz) samples which are worth a combined value of $1.65.


Elizabeth Arden  - Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara (3ml)
Coats and curls. Lifts and Lengthens. Every last lash.

Full size is $30 for 7ml. Available at Hudson's Bay, thebay.com.

Another deceiving product card description. First of all, this mascara is not currently available online at Hudons's Bay. It is only sold in a gift set which is valued at $30. On the Elizabeth Arden website, the mascara sells for $24. The Topbox sample size is 3ml so based on the Elizabeth Arden pricing, this sample has a value of about $10.30. I'm in the market for new mascara so I am loving all the samples I'm receiving. It's really helping me narrow down my search.




KMS California - FREESHAPE quick blow dry (30ml)
For anyone who wants faster drying and heat protection. Reduces drying time by up to 50%.

Full size is $18.75 for 200ml. Available at a salon near you. Find one at kmscalifornia.com.

I couldn't find any sites in Canada selling this products so I will take Topbox at it's word on the full size value. This sample this 30ml (1oz) and is worth about $2.81. I've seen several other box addicts receive FREESHAPE in various boxes over the last few months and I'm very excited to be able to try it myself. I hate blow drying my hair because it takes forever so maybe this will help.


Michael Todd True Organics - Tropical Fruit Enzyme Exfoliant Scrub (30ml)
Unique facial scrub that refines texture and encourages skin renewal, leaving skin smooth and refreshed.

Full size is $18 for 100ml. Available at topbox.ca and michaeltoddtrueorganics.com.

I could not find this product for sale in the Topbox store but it is available at the Michael Todd website.  The sample has an estimated value of $5.40. I use facial scrubs a few times a week so this is a great sample for me. Bonus that it's vegan and made with 96% organic ingredients. I have yet to remove the seal to give it the sniff test but I have high hopes. I love tropical scents.

 

The Verdict

 

Overall I'm very pleased with my inaugural Topbox. I received 4 products (5 pieces total) with an estimated value of $20.15. Not bad for a $12 purchase ($13.44 with tax). My only complaint is the typos and incorrect pricing information on the product card. Not a huge deal and it would not impact my decision on whether or not to subscribe.

Did you get the April Topbox? What did you receive?

6 comments:

  1. I've noticed pricing discrepancies on the cards from time to time, sometimes the prices are in line with Sephoras listed prices. I got the Arden Prive box this month, very excited to try all the goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many variations this month! I got a perfume instead of the butter and my EA product was makeup remover. Would've loved the mascara and moisturizer though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I think I'm receiving mine tomorrow (first one!) and I am so excited! I love what you received in your box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, those butters evade me again! LOL I got the Elizabeth Arden box which I am very pleased with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not enjoy my topbox and I cancelled mine after the first box. I was not pleased with the level of innovation in the brand selection. All of the products were chalk full of nasty chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topbox doesn't sell itself as a natural beauty box. The brands they are affiliated with are listed right on their website. It's not a secret. If natural, chemical free is what you are looking for, Topbox obviously isn't the right box for you.

      Delete